Monday, February 6, 2012

RTI for Behavior and an Intervention FREEBIE

Our little tiny private school is starting to see quite the change in population.  We are seeing an increased number of students that are struggling with both reading and math and are not being successful in the typical classroom.  So with that said, I suggested that we look into Response to Intervention.  I went to a seminar, did some online training, read lots of articles and books and talked with other schools that use it.  I am excited to say that after sharing all the information I have learned and presenting about it to the other teachers, we are moving forward with the process!  I know it's going to be quite a bit of work but I am so excited to see us do something proactive to help these kiddos improve and get the support they need!

I recently taught the other teachers I work with about RTI; the basics, what it can look like at our school, and gave some sample interventions.  This was a very nerve-wracking thing for me to do and I am glad that it is over!!  With that said though, I think it went really well and a lot of the teachers seemed to jump on board and get a good basic understanding of RTI.

As a school, we have decided to focus on RTI for behavior first so we are revamping our tier 1 (positive behavior support system), providing some in class interventions for students and finding some more intensive supports as well.  I went to a seminar on RTI for behavior done by Amie Dean who is fantastic by the way (she is who we are getting a lot of our ideas from)! You can see her Workshop information here!  I will leave you tonight with a nonverbal behavior intervention that she teaches about.

Correction Cards
 - print these cards, cut them out, and laminate

This is an intervention idea from Amie Dean and I took it and made it my own.  It is a nonverbal strategy to help redirect kids and give them a "warning" for a particular behavior.  For example... if a student it talking out /over you, you set a correction card on their desk that says "please stop talking."  The idea is that you can give that kid the warning they need and not have to stop your lesson to correct them or call them out and embarass them in front of the class.  I thought it was a great idea and I am excited to try them out in my class!! I'll let ya know how they work!

4 comments:

  1. I think I could definitely use these! Thanks so much for the info and for sharing! :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you are sharing this idea & I appreciate the credit as well!!! Love those who pay it forward.... Amie Dean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh of course! I really loved your ideas and I started using quite a few of them this past year! Thanks so much!
      Taylor

      Delete