Monday, May 14, 2012

Another 1 Bites the Dust!

I am linking up with Amber over at Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher for Another One Bites the Dust.  This is as much a fun link up with all you fabulous bloggers as it is a reflection for me!  Join in the fun by clicking the link above!

The Great!:

1. Learning about the amazing blogging world!!  -  This has been such a resource and support system for me.  The majority of the teachers at my school have been teaching for quite awhile and many are close to retirement.  They all are so experienced and prefer to stick to what they know rather than try some new things or do much collaboration. 


2. Starting an RTI Program  -  This has been an extremely challenging task and has taken a lot of time but I have been really excited about it.  It is still very rough and I am still trying to get support from all of the teachers but I think it will be a great asset to our school and for our students as well as teachers.


3.  Finding the Reading Tutors Program, part of Reading A-Z  -  I was really struggling coming up with lessons and interventions to use for reading readiness and comprehension.  This has been a great place for me to start and build off of and I look forward to using it more next year!


The Not So Great...


1.  Large Case Load and Lack of Time  -  I am technically a part time Special Ed. Teacher and a part time instructional aide.  The division line between to 2 positions has gotten very blurred.  I had 33 kids on my case load this year and technically only had 3 days to work with them on intervention work.  I would really love to be full time and I could only imagine the amazing progress we could make with more time.


I feel like most of my graphs look this way... They don't really, but I wish more went upwards a lot more than they did.

2.  Lack of Progress  -  I really feel like my kids didn't make nearly as much progress as I had hoped they would.  It is also really hard for me when I see these kiddos once or twice a week to determine if I am helping them grow and progress.  How do I know it's not just them maturing or their classroom teacher helping.


3.  Staying focused and doing my best  -  I had a lot of personal things going on this year and I found it hard to really stay on top of things.  Being in the position that I am in, it is easy to "slack off" and do the bare minimum when it comes to lesson planning.  With everything that I had going on this year, this happened WAY MORE than I had hoped it would.  Next year is going to be different and it will be my best year yet!

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for linking up! I'm glad I found your blog! I'm your newest follower! :)

    Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment : )

    Your position sounds very interesting. It sounds like a great experience and I hope they give you more time for intervention next year. I will definitely hit you up for RTI questions!

    Hope you get to do many relaxing and enjoyable things this summer!

    Kelli
    Tales From a Traveling Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog covers all three of my favorite things! I'm happy I found you! I'm your newest follower.

    The REAL Teachers of Orange County

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another special ed blogger!!!!! I've never heard of the Reading Tutors site from Reading A-Z. I just went and checked it out. Thanks so much for sharing!!! I could DEFINITELY use this. I'm already thinking of some students next year that could benefit from it. I have to do the SRA direct instruction program but honestly I hate it. It's just not enough. I feel like I'm constantly trying to reinvent the wheel and using a little of this or a little of that. There's not enough consistency. Maybe this site could give me a little more structure and guidance.

    Angelia
    Extra Special Teaching

    ReplyDelete