Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Assessment Resources

OK... So I am one of those weird people that loves collecting data and seeing assessment results.  They aren't the most fun things to do in the classroom but I really love seeing if my kiddos have progressed and seeing what we still need to work on.  I also rely on them to help me decide which kids I really need to work with and which kids struggle but don't actually need pull-out intervention support. 

Over the last 2 years I have found a few assessments that I use as benchmarks for my kiddos and I try to use them 3 times a year.  Some things I assess much more frequently such as reading fluency, sight words, math skills, etc. but the following are my major benchmark scores that I use before progress reports and keep in their files.  I have been really excited to share this post with you all because I really find these materials and resources extremely helpful and I hope your can find something that will be of use for you as well.

For math skills I use a website called ThatQuiz. 

It assesses the major concepts, and computation in math.  I love it because I can specify the skill, I don't have to print or grade it (which I LOVE), it times it without the kids knowing its doing so, and it tracks and graphs their scores.  I choose/create the tests that each of my kiddos need and assign it to their class.  Then come test day, I give each student a notecard with all of the test codes for the tests that they need to take and let them go. It does require a login but it is free to signup!

For reading in grades 2 - 8, I use a few different measures.

1. San Diego Quick Assessment:  <-- That link will take you to the assessment which you can open, print, and use.  I glued the 2 Student Material pages to the inside of a file folder and then laminated it.  I then keep copies of the Record Form in the file so that I can easily and quickly assess a student when a teacher suggests I start working with them.

This is fairly common assessment which measures word recognition out of context.  It is broken up into 13 grade level word lists and gives you a quick picture of which grade level a student can read an "out of context" word.  This assessment takes less than 2 minutes.

2. Story Retell Assessment - The next assessment I use is a retell assessment.  I use the form that I got from the Reading A-Z Tutors Program.  This program requires a membership login and is something that I purchased for my classroom since I didn't have a reading program to use.  So far I love it... but anyways... the Assessment form. 

You can find a few out in the internet world but this is my favorite.  I have a student read an entire grade level passage.  I time it for 1 minute and make a note and that way I also get my Oral Reading Fluency score as well and I can kill 2 birds with 1 stone!  But the retell checksheet assesses the ability to retell important information from the passage including sequence, characters, problem, and solution.

3. Writing Skills Checklist - You can get this checklist from the Read-Write-Think website.  Get this specific rubric here. 

I like this one because it is simple yet conclusive.  I think it gives a lot of good information and I can use it for all grade levels.  I also use story prompts for my benchmark data collections and I typically use ones from Funny & Fabulous Story Prompts which you can download from Scholastic's Teacher Express resource for $1.00 right now!!  I highly recommend it!  I also have students use a colored pen to make their revisions as well so I can see how their editing skills have progressed.

4.  EasyCBM - This is a website that also requires a user login but you can get one for free.  I use this to download comprehension assessments.  I print the grade level passage and questions.  The passages are a bit longer so I only use these for benchmarks.  Each assessment has between 10 and 20 multiple choice questions.



For my first graders, I assess at the beginning and the end of the year using the RTI Assessments and Remediation for grade K- 2.  You can also click the above link and download it for $1.00 right now from Scholastic Teacher Express. 

If you prefer the actual book, you should be able to get it at any book store or order it from Amazon for $27.99.  It's a great resource and has a lot of great activity and intervention ideas.  I love the assessments for my first graders as well to track comprehension, writing, and grammar.   I also use DIBELS skills assessments for those specific skills as well.

I hope that you found something useful and I'd love to hear how you think that one of these can help you in your classrooms. 

Also, what assessment/goal tracking resources do you use?

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, thanks for these ideas. I haven't heard of that first website! I'm a data dork too :)

    Jenny
    Luckeyfrog's Lilypad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas!!! One of my big goals for next year is for my kids to keep up with their own assessments.


    Check out my new blog- I am giving away a $25 gc to Target to celebrate!
    http://everynewbeginningblog.blogspot.com/2012/05/25-target-gift-card-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete