Monday, July 30, 2012

A Little Monday Made It

Hey Gals!  So today, I woke up early, got ready and headed up to school.  After my 25 minute drive, I got there and the lock was taped over telling me I was still not allowed in.  I was really not happy about this!  Panic has set in a bit and I really need to get some things done and figured the heck out in my classroom, especially since I moved rooms!  So instead of being productive at school, I went to the teacher store, Michaels, and Target, and came home to be productive here instead. 

Anyways... Onto the Monday Made It with Tara!! This weekend the majority of my time went to baking and I'll share that with you at the end.  But first, I did do a quick little thing for school that I thought I would share.  Being a resource teacher, I don't have enough time with my students to do big fancy fun things to reward good behavior or progress so I have had to get creative with those 2 things.  I usually have a big bag of candy and I use that for both academic progress and good behavior.  But this year I want to change it up a bit.  So.... for students who do something great academically, meet a goal, or show some good progress, will get a Smartie!  Who doesn't love Smarties?  So to hold all of these yummy treats, I made a little jar!


Pretty cute right?!?!  I got a large square mason jar from Target for 5 Bucks (but I'm sure you could find a cheaper jar to hold them at a dollar store or something, but this was just more convenient for me.)  I used stickers for the words "smartie pants" and I took a piece of tissue paper and wrapped it around the inside.  Finally, I tied a ribbon around the top.  Most simple craft ever! No paint, glue, or mod podge needed!


And as I had mentioned before, I did a lot of baking this weekend.  Our school secretary's daughter got married on Saturday and she hired me to do her wedding cake/cupcake display!  I had to make 240 cupcakes and a 10 inch square cake.  Man this was a lot but I think it went really well... I had a few hiccups... I tried to do too many things at once and left my butter in the micro too long and the first cake flopped exploded in my oven. 
But that happens and everything came out great in the end at least I think so!!


 So those are my Monday Made It's.  What are yours?
Taylor

15 comments:

  1. I gave out Smart Beads last year whenever a kid did something super smart or answered a really hard question, and at the end of the day they would trade in their Smart Beads for smarties! It was a perfect combination. :)

    Marvelous Multiagers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the idea of tradind smart beads for smarties!

      Brandi
      Success in Second Grade

      Delete
  2. Wow! The cupcakes look terrific! I am a new follower and would love to have you visit my blog and to link up on my "Blogs of Inspiration" page.
    Happy Teaching,
    Laura

    TIPS: Teach, Inspire, and Prepare Students

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Wow!! Thanks so much! I linked up and I'm a new follower!
      Taylor

      Delete
  3. Your cupcakes came out amazing!! I also like your idea of having a smartie jar. Very cute creations!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I am astounded by your cake/cupcakes!! Very impressive! :) Love your Smarties jar, too! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    Gayla
    Teach On.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cupcake and cake display looks amazing!! Super cute Smartie jar too!
    Lori
    Conversations in Literacy

    ReplyDelete
  6. How do you keep the cupcakes so fresh?!

    xoxo, Eden

    http://teachinginflats.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually baked them all the day before and kept them in plastic cupcake boxes which keep them really moist. They only sat out a few hours before they dug in!
      Taylor

      Delete
  7. Wow! The cupcakes look fabulous! Looking forward to checking out more teaching,crafting and baking ideas :) I am your newest follower!

    -Krista
    The Second Grade Superkids

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for following! I love your blog design, so creative and I am your newest follower too!!
      Taylor

      Delete
  8. I love your smartie pants jar!! Super cute! I had fun exploring your blog!! You do such a great job. I can't wait to do some baking!!! I am your newest follower. I would love for you to come over to secondgradechatter.blogspot.com and check out my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow~ That look delicious. Oh, and I love your smarties jar. I am your newest follower! I found you on the Made it Monday linky....I would love if you would check out my blog!Fancy Free in Fourth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the lovely comments and for stopping by! I am also now a follower of you and I absolutely love your profile picture! So cute!
      Taylor

      Delete