Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Teaching Pencil Grip

Do you have any students that struggle with holding a pencil correctly?  I believe that if the child can hold a pencil in some way, write legibly, and have it not take forever to complete a writing task then who cares how they hold it.  But if students struggle with any or all of those things, then I believe that teaching the proper way to hold a pencil is important!  In my research today I learned that it is believed that handwriting is pretty much set by grade three so it is extremely important to teach this before then!

I have a kiddo that has some sensory issues which has made handwriting very difficult for him.  Last year we solely worked on correct letter formation, the pressure he used when he wrote, and spacing between his letters.  He made great progress and I hope some of it was due to the support I gave him.  Well this year we noticed that he is holding his pencil weird so I needed to come up with a way to help him. 

*Sidenote Instead of trying to come up with something on my own, I went to my never fail, all amazing, kill my creativity source... PINTEREST.  Does anyone else feel that since pinterest, their own creative ideas seemed to have slightly taken a backseat to the awesome ones someone else already did and posted?  Sometimes I have a good creative moment but thanks to Pinterest it doesn't happen nearly as often haha.*

Anyways... I found the best way to teach this on Pinterest today and it actually worked!  So I thought I would share with you this video! These ideas were so smart and I was so glad to find them! Go to the following link to check out her website and video. http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2012/06/correct-pencil-grip/

She has a video that gives 2 awesome ways to teach your kiddos to hold a pencil correctly thus making it easier for them to write.  I used the first one and it worked beautifully!  I hope this can help you in some way! 

Tomorrow is Thursday everyone, almost the weekend again!  Yay!!  Enjoy the rest of your week!
Taylor

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing that video! We are working on this write now. I need to buy stock in Stetro grips!!! Love the pick it up/flip move!

    Megan

    I Teach. What's Your Super Power?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm working with a kinder who is having difficulty grasping a pencil. Last week I found that if I used a very short "chubby" pencil (leftovers from last year) that it was easier for her to grasp tightly. I like the flip strategy in the video. I'll be trying both of these this week. Thanks again for your timely post! Lauren Teacher Mom of 3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the video! I agree - pinterest is always beating any cool ideas I have! Have a great rest of your week :)

    - Sasha
    The Autism Helper

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing this great resource Taylor! I have a kiddo that I just realized is having a pencil grasp issue! I will try this on Monday!

    -Simone
    Busyasahoneybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! First of all thanks for this nice sharing. It is a nice blog for those children affected with autism.
    the pencil grip India

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) may show may symptoms which are easily visible with the people.
    Sensory toys

    ReplyDelete